Saturday, May 2, 2009

I see dead people....and eat mexican food

I think if you live long enough, have enough adventures, and really just leave your house on a regular basis in a large city, you will, eventually, see something you wish you hadn't. For me this happened Friday morning on the way to work. The lane my driver normally uses to take me to work in the early mornings (I'm on the road before 6 AM) - the Bus Way - was blocked. They weren't even letting motorcycles on it. A few minutes later we learned why - there was a dead body in the road. Fresh, too. When we drove by there were no police, no medical response unit, and a large pool of blood draining from the body's head. The body itself was twitching in what I can only describe as the gasping I've seen from fish when you are cutting their heads off. Gruesome, graphic, macabre - I know. That's how I started my morning. The day did improve from there, thankfully.

Today (Saturday) we met my admin for dinner at the only Mexican restaurant in all of Jakarta. And, I can thankfully say it is truly a Mexican restaurant. My wife says she can always tell by the salsa they serve with the free chips when you first sit down. Hacienda is located in the Arcadia building of the Plaza Senaya mall (which is across the street from Senayan City, where we had looked for it last weekend). Between the four of us, we ate the Mexican food equivalent of "hitting the cycle" - tacos, burrito, enchiladas and quesadillas. We went to Cold Stone for the obligatory ice cream dessert.

Plaza Senaya also has a bowling alley on the top floor. We all tried our hand at bowling. I did okay with a 133 - 4 spares and one strike. My daughter - who refused help and did not have bumpers - bowled a 16. My wife, who trailed my daughters after 2 frames, bowled the lowest score I've ever seen her bowl, so I won't repeat it here (though she averaged less than 6 per frame). We're blaming it on the extra real-estate her arm needs to navigate (her bump) when she swings the ball.

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Your daughter bowls better than I do!

Wifey said...

That's not true I got a strike in one frame! And if I remember correctly I think you guttered it once.