Sunday, April 17, 2011

Jakarta Neighborhoods

One of the more interesting aspects of life in Jakarta is how closely poverty lives among wealth.  They coexist, not just on the same city, or the same neighborhood, but on the same plots of land.

A few weeks ago, wanting to better explore our new neighborhood, I went for a jog.  Instead of turning right out of my driveway and taking the streets with which I was familiar, I turned left, and took a trail used by pedestrians and bikes.  Probably not the wisest decision from a security standpoint, but I did it nonetheless.  A few days later, while my wife slept in on her one day per week to do so, I took the kids with me and we walked the same route.  I tasked our daughter with taking pictures along the way.

Here is a taste of how many Jakartans live.

 

 

 

No comments: