Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just When I Thought There Were No More Stories To Tell

The month is two-thirds over and this is just my second post.  We had visitors all last week and I've been spending every available moment (riding in the car, after the kids are asleep, lunch hour) devouring the Game of Thrones books, as well as planning for our son's 2nd birthday and two Halloween parties, but I can't truly claim those as the reasons for my silence.  In fact, I'll have posts about those events soon - hopefully this weekend.

I haven't posted because we're in a routine.  A good routine.  And routine isn't exciting.  Until something disrupts it....like this week.  Here are four delightful insights into life in Jakarta:

1)  I owe what!?  My electric bill this month was the equivalent of $750 US.  My first reaction was "BullSh--".  No way.  Every month up to this point had been $200-$300.  I demanded an explanation from the electric company and from my landlord.  The landlord's person is coming tomorow, but I'm pretty sure I already have my answer.  The electric company informed us that they outsource the meter reading to another company.  That company did layoffs which included the person who reads my meter.  So they haven't read it.  They've been "estimating" for the last six months.  They finally read my meter.  Next month I apparently will owe nearly $1,500!  All because no one bothered to read my meter for six months and now they need to do a true-up. 

2)  What is my alternative?  When our guests were visiting, the toilet in the master bathroom began leaking water from beneath the floor when we flushed.  Never a good sign; especially when this is a repeat of something that happened a few months ago.  Called the landlord, who sent out a plumber.  He proceeds to disassemble the toilet, rip up the floor, and clean the pipe feeding....well, whatever it feeds.  Three days later, we're good to go.  Then I get an email from the landlord.  The plumber informed them that the pipe was clogged with toilet paper.  The landlord advised that we should not be flushing toilet paper down the toilet.

3)  This explains a lot.  A few weeks ago, when we returned from the US with our new son, we needed to complete the immigration paperwork for him.  Standard procedure we've done several times.  With the other two kids in school, we needed to find a time that was convenient.  Luckily, immigration opens at 9 AM.  Plenty of time to drop both kids off at school, travel to immigration, get the pictures taken and paperwork completed, and be back in time to pick up our two-year-old from his half-day pre-school.  That is, if they would actually take a 9 AM appointment.  We were dutifully informed that the earliest time we could schedule an appointment is at 10 AM because from 9 - 10 everyone in immigration likes to drink their coffee and read the paper.  At least they're honest.

4)  You mean, it isn't just the government?  We're having a Halloween party.  That means we need costumes.  Halloween is a very American holiday so I was surprised to find a costume store in Jakarta.  We took the forty minute car ride to the mall, found the store, selected the costume we wanted to try from the brochure and were told we had to wait.  Huh?  Everyone was eating lunch.  They would help us when they were done with their lunch.

5)  Shouldn't I get to decide that?  Tomorrow night my wife and I are going to the Latin Ball.  We had such a good time last year, we've been looking forward to this year's for several months.  I bought a fitted tuxedo, specially tailored for me, and my wife went in search of a fabulous dress.  That's right, my wife, less than three months removed from giving birth to our third child went out looking for a sexy dress.  Bold, brave....and a bit humbling.  She stopped in a store today, selected a dress, and brought it to the sales clerk and asked to try it on.  Sales clerk looked at her and said:  "No.  That dress is a medium.  You need an extra large.  It won't fit you.  You can't try it on."  Wow!  Amazingly, my wife not only didn't slap the woman, she laughed about it and left.  She did eventually find a dress somewhere else and I can't wait to see her in it.

Man I miss home.

1 comment:

Dwane Zelinsky said...

What kind of toilet paper are you using that it didn't disintegrate when you flush the toilet? The toilet paper must have been very thick for it not to go down the toilet. I guess you have learned your lesson, then. Just take it easy and have a good time while you're there.