Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Birthday Swim with Dolphins

I've reached the point in my life where I have both everything I need, and everything I want.  Not because I have everything, but because I am finally able to live the adage: "A wealthy man doesn't have what he wants, he wants what he has."

This makes my birthday a challenging time for my wife.  I told her I don't want things, I want experiences.  I've found that experiences last longer than things, anyway.  So this year, the experience she bought for my birthday was a swim with dolphins at Samudra water park in Ancol.

Samudra is a water/animal park that also has a few rides and 4D theater.  We'd been to it once before in our early days in Jakarta but had not yet returned.  This was well worth the return.

Like many things with children, the idea of swimming with dolphins was far more exciting than the reality.  It didn't help that when we began our initial interactions with the large mammals one of them butted my leg fairly hard with the end of his nose and all three of them kept rising out of the water with their mouths wide open.  I decided I had to set the example and get in first.  It was still another fifteen minutes before my wife would join me.  The kids got in when she did.  Our daughter never fully felt comfortable, but our son loved it.  I think fear takes a few years to settle in.

After the dolphin swim, we let the kids to one ride before we returned to our hotel (more on that later) for the day.

Great time!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have found another interesting way of travelling:

northern lights

Unknown said...

How do you make a reservation to swim with the dolphins?

Anonymous said...

You can just call Samudra at Ancol. You can also try and register when you first check-in at the ticket counter.