Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sept 7

Today, I did nothing....unless you count 4 hours of work and watching several movies as something.

I'm sore from golfing. It's somewhat embarassing to say that. I mean, all you do in golf is swing a club, and you aren't even swinging it hard. If the size of my score wasn't enough to prove that I was doing something wrong, where I'm sore is a further indication. I'm a right-handed golfer. That means, my left arm, wrist, and shoulder do all fo the work. Today, my RIGHT elbow and shoulder hurt. Obviously, whatever I was doing involved my right arm much more than it shoudl have. I've also somehow injured my left knee and ankle. At 33, I wouldn't think I was too old for golf!

As I usually do on my trips, I want to use today's post to discuss some of the observations I have of Indonesia.

This visit has me in Indonesia during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. It's a very interesting time and poses some new challenges from a management perspective. Ramadan is the time of fasting. All Muslims must fast from sun-up to sun-down. Based on the calendar the hotel provided me, that means that Muslims are fasting from 4:15 AM until around 6 PM every day for the month of September. Fasting during Ramadan means no eating or drinking, so they don't even get water. On the evenings we have stayed late, we have had to break from our meetings at 6 PM to allow our Muslim employees to "break fast" - now you know where the English "breakfast" comes from (it's the breaking of the overnight fasting you do while you sleep).

Ramadan is a fascinating time. As an American, you don't really gain a true appreciation for the Muslim faith, or the devotion of its followers. I would equate Ramadan to the Catholic tradition of Lent. For Ramadan, in addition to the fasting, Muslims are supposed to avoid any form of temptation, any form of swearing, any form of excitement. They can't even speak in loud voices. In America, we fear Muslim's so much, we fail to appreciate the strength of their convictions and their willingness to submit to the tenets of their faith.

Earlier this week, the Wall Street Journal published a religious map of Indonesia. I've mentioned before that Indonesia recognizes four faiths - Hindu, Christian, Buddhist and Islam. Each island in Indonesia has a dominant faith that drives the political and cultural experience. Java, where Jakarta is located, is considered a Modern Muslim state. The island of Bali, on the other hand, is Hindu. In the state of Aceh, they have elections underway. The leading Muslim group in Aceh is having all of the candidates submit to a test of the Koran. They must pass the test if they wish to continue their candidacy.

This is one of the few places on Earth where you truly see Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and Christian faiths coexisting in harmony. American press likes to report on violence, attack on Americans, etc. I have found the contrary to be the truth. They love Americans here. Everyone wants to talk to you, learn about you, learn about America. The only thing you have to worry about in Indonesia are scams - and those are everywhere.

The more time I spend in Indonesia, and the more I learn about it, I realize that Indonesia could very easily become an economic super power if they could get rid of the corruption. Other than the monthly earthquakes, the country does not have natural catastrophes. Their are volcanoes, but they are in remote areas. They don't get hurricanes, no tornadoes, and the rain is constant. Filled with natural resources - arable land, mineral deposits, lots of people - Indonesia has everything it needs to become an economic superpower. The only thing it lacks is an honest government and a willingness to invest in education. They have recently passed some laws and created jails specifically for officials who accept bribes, so maybe they are beginning to realize their potential.

Well, hopefully this was all coherent and not as disconnected as it seems to me. I think I had a little too much wine at dinner. Next week should not be nearly as busy as last week, so hopefully I'll have an opportunity to blog each night.

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

We lack an honest government and willingness to (truly) invest in education...maybe there's still hope for Jakarta! :-)

Chris said...

super power if no corruption - quite likely