Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sept 13 - Preparing for home

This was, by far, the most productive trip I've had to Indonesia. It's probably the most productive two-weeks I've had in my recent career. We accomplished everything I came here to accomplish, and I'm very comfortable with the outcome. What did it take? Me working in the office from 7:30 AM to 6 PM and then in the hotel from 8 PM until, on one occassion, 1 AM.

So, if you were wondering why I didn't blog every day on this trip as I did on my prior trips, now you know.

A few things I learned (or reminded myself of) on this trip:

1) Ramadan (or Ramadhan) is the Muslim Christmas. This is the holiest of times for them, and they celebrate it by fasting, giving gifts, celebrating family, and focusing on resisting temptation. I have a hard time turning away a bowl of ice cream each night.

2) Jakarta is a HUGE city crammed into a TINY area. When going 5 kilometers (about 3 miles for all you Americans) takes 45 minutes, you know you have traffic issues. This is a town without speed limits because the traffic itself prevents high speeds.

3) Peaceful plurality is achievable when you remove the notion that your beliefs are better than anyone elses. It also helps when the plurality occurs in pockets of homogeneity. The nation has 4 different religions, but each island has a dominant one that drives the government and culture for that island. If these were neighboring states, I bet the peace would be more tenuous.

4) Poverty and wealth can coexist - and often do. If anyone has been to Gross Pointe, Michigan, you've seen a mild version of what occurs here. In Jakarta, you can drive down a back alley, barely wide enough for two cars with their mirrors extended to pass each other, seeing throngs of people living at a subsistence level. In that same alley, there will be a 15 foot metal gate that, when it slides open, reveals a moderately guarded compound of 3500sf homes with personal swimming pools, shared playgrounds and tennis courts.

5) They don't get the NFL here. That really sucks. I missed the first full week of the only sport I pay attention to.

As one of my colleagues here said to me: "I'm really glad you came, but I'm really glad you are leaving". I'm really glad I came, but I'm glad to be going home.

No comments: