Sunday, March 29, 2009

Quick Geography Lesson

I need to give everyone a quick geography lesson to help lend understanding to most of my posts. Hopefully I only have to do this once.

Indonesia is comprised of thousands of islands - over 10,000, by the count I heard. Java is an island. Jakarta is a city on the island of Java. Kemang, where we will live, is also a city on the island of Java, south of Jakarta.

Currently, we are in Bali - another island. We are staying in Denpasar, a city in Bali, on the world famous Kuta Beach (an area of Denpasar).

The islands of Indonesia, much like the islands of Hawaii, were all once former volcanoes. Many of the islands remain active volcanoes to this day (again, much like Hawaii). Indonesia is located on the Ring of Fire - a very volatile geographic location. I believe there are three tectonic plates working together to make up the Indonesian archipelago.

Hope that helps.

No comments: