Sunday, October 25, 2009

My son squeals like a pig

A good friend of mine once told me an article he read stated that our children, thanks to evolutionary adaptation, make crying noises in sounds that are most annoying to their parents to guarantee attention. To me, this explains both why so many infants are shaken to death by their parents, and why my son squeals like a pig. Seriously. The kid doesn't cry. He squeals. It definitely gets our attention.

I also think my son is making a statement that he should have been born in the U.S. He sleeps all day and is awake all night. Our daughter slept, ate, and pooped in 2 hour shifts when she was born. Our son is sleeping during the day and demanding food all night. I think he consumes more calories than I do. Hopefully that means he will grow quickly.

My wife needs to focus most of her attention on our newborn. For me, this means focusing my attention on our daughter so she does not feel marginalized by the new arrival. We both want her to know that her role in our lives has not diminished with the arrival of our son.

Today, this meant taking our daughter to the water park in Singapore - Wild Wild Wet. Her uncle and I spent the whole day there with her. She had a blast. She loves going down the slides - by herself - and really enjoyed the 4 storey, inner tube ride they had that she calls "The Loop". The tube seats six people and there are several drops and high speed turns from the top of the stairs to the pool at the bottom. She enjoyed every minute of it. I don't know many 3-year olds that will go down a large water slide by themselves. I certainly didn't see many at the park.

The bonus of having her spend all day running around a park and swimming was complete exhaustion when we returned. We arrived at the park at 10:30 AM and left at 3:30 PM after my daughter said to me "I'm kinda tired. I think I'll fall asleep on the next ride." She fell asleep in the taxi on the ride home, and went to bed 2 hours earlier than normal.

Now, if only we can get our son to sleep through the night....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were blessed with a cooperative baby first time around, this one has to be different! What a funny piece.

Love, Gma B

Jill and Tim Sherry said...

Brian and Jessica,
Just appreciate what your parents endured when you were blessed into this world. Does Alex have a Social Secutity Number? You'll need that to file your 2009 tax return:)
Love,
Aunt Jill

Wonder Woman said...

Hopefully he won't get colic like ur daughter did...those were some tough babysitting sessions!!