Monday, February 8, 2010

Another visitor

We moved to Jakarta at the end of March in 2009. My mother-in-law joined us on the trip out to help us get settled in. She left in April after spending a few weeks with us. We spent the summer by ourselves before moving to Singapore. Since then we have had non-stop visitors.
  • My mom joined us for two weeks in Singapore.
  • My mother-in-law made a return trip with my brother-in-law a few weeks later and stayed for 2 months.
  • My dad and sister visited a few weeks later.
  • My wife's father visited for a weeks later.
  • My wife's aunt is with us now.
We have established a basic visitor routine. First, everyone must visit Hacienda. If your visit lasts a week or happens on a weekend, you will be going to Hacienda with us. A trip to one of the malls is also on the agenda. If you are here two weeks, or are willing to go by yourself during the week, you'll also see Taman Safari.

This time, our visitor's arrival coincided with the 1 year anniversary party for Hacienda. The party was an invitation only affair for their best customers. Of course, we are some of their best customers. I think we've probably spent more money there in the last year than anyone else has.

The party was awesome. Free food, free margaritas, festive atmosphere. We sat at a table with the sister of the waiter we usually have when we visit. She is a nice lady married to an Australian expat. We also drank far too much. Before going, I didn't think I would drink at all. I'd had a head cold all week and the one glass of wine I'd had earlier in the week made things worse. By the time we arrived, however, I felt the best I'd felt in weeks. I should have stuck to my original plan. I had a rough night. I still got up for work in the morning, but I was only able to work a half day and I prolonged my sinus agony for another two days.

Two weeks ago we hired a nanny. We really like her and she's great with the kids. We now have two drivers, a full time maid and a full time nanny. The nanny comes Monday through Saturday from 11:30 AM to 6 PM. Twice a week she stays late so my wife and I can go out - typically Thursdays and Saturdays. Thursday for us was Hacienda. Saturday was a trip back to the Indian restaurant at the Manhattan Hotel.

The elevator of the hotel has little placards inside indicating what is on each floor. Floor 3 is the New York Steakhouse. Floor 5 is the Indian restaurant. Floor 7 is the Ladies Only Executive Floor. We've always wondered what that was all about. This time, I asked our waiter. He explained that most of the visitors to the hotel are Arab. In the Arab (Muslim) culture, women do not mingle with men who are not their relation. If there is not a women's only floor, the only option available for the wives and daughters is to remain in their rooms. The women's only floor is for them.

The big event of this week was the Superbowl. I tried the last several weeks to find a way to get the appropriate channel for my house. Didn't happen. I then tried to convince my clubhouse that they should air it because of all the Americans in our complex. That didn't happen. So, we paid $18 per person to have breakfast at the American Club to watch it there on the Armed Forces Network. Did I mention that in Jakarta the Superbowl started at 6 AM, so we had to leave the house at 5:30 AM? I'd say that shows dedication if I wasn't always leaving the house at that time to go to work.

Amazingly, my wife and her aunt both woke early enough to go and watch it with me. They were looking forward to the commercials. Of course, the Armed Forces Network doesn't air any of the commercials, so they had to be happy with the game. Good thing the game lived up to the hype! I must admit that I was shocked by the outcome, though I am happy for the Saints and their fans.

I cannot begin to tell you the fervor experienced at my company, and the expats here from New Orleans. Our CFO actually flew to Miami just to attend the game. He had just returned from the US a few weeks ago, only to turn around and fly back to spend the weekend there for the game and come back. He told me he would bring a sign that said: "I flew all the way from Indonesia: Go Saints!" I did not see him on TV, though.

I did not get to watch much football this year - and my prognostication abilities greatly suffered as a result - but I was able to watch my favorite sport when it mattered most, and that is all that really matters.

No comments: