Thursday, October 7, 2010

Live life, then do some work.

One of my philosophies is to never stop learning.  Whether it is acquiring a new skill, learning a new activity, or just plain old acquiring knowledge, I try to do it every day.  I spend an enormous amount of time in traffic.  Reading has become my most expedient and convenient route to knowledge attainment.  I find that fiction provides inspiration and non-fiction provides perspective.

I've recently been working my way through a new book (well, new to me).  I first became aware of it in an email exchange I had with a former (younger) colleague/employee.  I was, at the time, seeking a partner to develop an online version of the game I invented, and knew he had started his own technology company.  His response back was surprising.  It went something like:

"I just got back from my summer home in Wisconsin, so I'm in Phoenix again.  We're not taking on new business or projects, though I'm happy to give you advice if you want it.  I am only in the office a few hours a week - like the 'Four Hour Work Week' - so we can meet for lunch on Tuesday."

I could not believe he 1) had his own business; 2) had a summer home; 3) only worked a few hours a week.  I felt disbelief before envy.

I finally started the book he was referring too.  It's an extremely interesting take on simplifying your life and is worth the read for anyone who feels too busy, but is especially good for people who do, or want to, operate their own businesses.

If you have not read this book, you should.  Whether you are a stay-at-home parent or an 80-hour per week corporate riser, I think you'll find excellent ideas on how to simplify your life and spend more time doing what you want to do.

I'm personally quite interested in hiring my own virtual assistant to tackle some tasks I've been putting off for quite a long time (for example, researching the best high-energy, low calorie diet for someone who cannot eat chicken or fish).

No comments: