Sunday, November 28, 2010

Credit where credit is due

Last week, I wrote about my misadventures with WalMart and their dryer sheets.  I used their website to send them the following complaint:

"We are expats in Jakarta, Indonesia. On a return visit to the US, we went to a Walmart store in Scottsdale, AZ and bought $300+ worth of food to ship back - comfort food we cannot find in Indonesia. We also bought the dryer sheets - another item not available in Indonesia. We shipped the dryer sheets in the same box as our food. This turned out to be both costly and unhealthy. The dryer sheets contaminated any food in a permeable container - specifically, anything that is only housed in cardboard or paper. I missed a half day of work after consuming 5 bites of oatmeal. I was nauseous and dizzy for a few hours. Before you get worried, I have no intention of suing. All I really want is to have you ship me, at your expense, replacements for the food we had to throw out. The oatmeal, cereal, and pudding we tasted before deciding it was inedible. The rest we threw out based on smell - they smell of dryer sheets. Here is the list:
  • 2 boxes Cheerios value size
  • 2 boxes Quaker Oats 2lb, 10 oz whole old fashioned
  • 1 box raspberry jello 6 oz
  • 5 boxes cherry jello 6 oz
  • 4 boxes strawberry jello 6 oz
  • 7 boxes chocolate pudding 6 oz
  • 6 boxes of Rica A Roni 6.4 oz

 
This week, a day before I would have sent a follow up complaint, they responded to my complaint and advised me on the next steps.  I was anticipating a much longer wait time, and more struggles.  Of course, I haven't been told they'll compensate me yet, so I temper my enthusiasm with that reality.

But, credit where it is due, they recognized, responded, and validated my claim.  Now they just need to make me whole.

No comments: