Sunday, March 27, 2011

Traffic Frustration

This event took place several weeks ago and I keep forgetting to recount it here.

Presumably in an attempt to alleviate traffic (versus line the pockets of a supporter), a major road construction project is underway near the neighborhood where we live.  The goal is to build an elevated new road over the existing road and make them both one-way (in opposite directions).  The net effect, for now, is increased congestion on the other roads.

Two weeks ago, as we were leaving for dinner with friends, we learned another effect of the construction is detours through our neighborhood.  We sat unmoving for fifteen minutes, surrounded by motorcycles on all sides, less than one hundred meters from our house. 

For a clear picture of the situation it's important to know the main road through my neighborhood is barely two cars wide (we have to pull in the side mirrors to pass each other) and there are several right-angle turns that, if not done correctly, require a three-point maneuver to complete.  Two cars cannot make the turn at the same time.  The flood of motorcycles prevented cars from moving at all in the already tight conditions.  The result was gridlock.

After five minutes, I grew impatient.  We were supposed to pick up our friends and the drive to their house, under normal conditions, should require five minutes.  After ten minutes I had a few choice words for the situation.  Fifteen minutes of not moving and I'd had enough.  I got out of the car.

When you exit the neighborhood from my house, the road heads north to a "T".  Turning left is the traditional (paved) way out of the neighborhood and requires two, right-angle turns.  Turning right will also lead out of the neighborhood on an unpaved road that leads directly through the heart of the cemetery.  Because most of the traffic were detours - and Indonesia doesn't exactly use detour signs to direct the traffic - everyone was trying to remain on the paved roads.

I marched up to the "T" intersection determined to unclog the jam.  The recognized the constant flow of motorcycles prevented cars from completing the turn.  So, I did what any good Indonesian would do.  I directed traffic. 

My wingspan is wide enough I was able to cover the entire gap between the turning car and the edge of the road.  Once I had stopped all the bikes, I redirected them onto the dirt road through the cemetery.  This had the same effect as removing a dam on a river.  Within minutes, all of the motorcycles had cleared and were on their merry way through the cemetery.  Cars started turning again, and my car was soon able to reach the intersection where it picked me up and we continued on to pick up our friends.

We waited fifteen minutes waiting for the situation to resolve itself.  Two minutes after I exited my vehicle, the logjam had cleared.

Next time I won't be so patient.

No comments: