Tuesday, May 10, 2011

An Accumulator's Regrets

Back when I had a little, I thought I wanted a lot
Now I have so much I don't want half the things I've got

I have dozens of games I never play
Enough MP3's to listen for three-hundred days

A mass of toys lay all over my floor
With many of them the children long ago became bored

Books, movies, and video games of all kinds
Enough clothes and shoes to last until end-times

And what do I gain with this material wealth?
Does it increase my happiness or mental health?

I gain bigger locks to protect from loss
Not even sure if it is worth the cost

I gain worries about maintaining my home
Displaying affluence comparable to the Jones'

When did life become such a complicated race
With so much focus on saving face?

I'd be better off eschewing all that I own
Converting my mausoleum house into a home

And remembering that laughs and smiles are always free.
That's better for all of us, wouldn't you agree?

No comments: