Sunday, July 5, 2009

If Momma Doesn't Mind

One of the rituals of my day is to spend time at the park with my daughter. This is why I leave for work at 5:30 AM. If I leave the office at 4 PM, I can usually be home by 4:45, which gives me about 30-45 minutes to take her to the park before it gets dark, or I need to go to the gym.

She likes to entertain me with stories of her day, what she wants to do tomorrow (almost always "go to the zoo"), and her ideas for the evening. Sometimes, it only takes a phrase to set off the creativity in my mind. This time it was my daughter saying: "If Momma Doesn't Mind".

If Momma Doesn't Mind
a poem, inspired by and for my daughter

When I wake up in the morning
I yawn and stretch the night away
I sit up in my bed and wonder
“What should I do today?”

I’ll start by having candy for breakfast
I’ll sample one of every kind
Cover all of them with maple syrup
That is, of course, if momma doesn’t mind

After breakfast, it’d be so much fun
If we all went to the zoo
We’ll growl “Hello!” to the lions
And hop along with kangaroos

We’ll find our way to the petting farm
And feed hay to all the goats
Hopefully they’ll have a horse again
Because I’ll bring him a bag of oats

Once I’ve warmed up with feeding those
I’ll give the bears some milk to drink
I’ll go in their cage, and pat their head
I wonder what momma will think?

After such a busy morning
I’m sure mom will need a break
So for lunch we’ll have a picnic
And I’ll feed the ducks out on the lake

They come right up to the dock:
They love my tasty snacks!
And when they get close enough
I’ll jump right on their backs

We’ll swim and quack around the lake
Laughing as we go
I asked momma if I could last time
She just said “maybe so”


When lunch is through we’ll have to go
To the park that is nearby
There's a tree they say is too tall to climb
But I’ve always wanted to try

I’ll scurry up the tree real fast
Just like a little squirrel
Everyone will stare and wonder
“Is that a little girl?”

I’ll keep climbing ‘til I reach the sky
Or at least until the top
The other kids will cheer me on
Calling after me: “Don’t stop!”

When I reach the top I’ll wave and shout
And hang there by my knees
I’ll sway back and forth just like a leaf
Waving in the breeze

Momma will smile up at me
I know she’ll feel so proud
At least I think that’s how she’ll act
If I am allowed

For dinner we’ll have root beer floats
With cherries and whip cream
Mom may think it’s too much sweets
But it isn’t as sweet as it seems

When we get home it’s story time
And I’ll get to stay up late
I’ll be up way past nine
Even though my bedtime’s eight

If it doesn’t bother momma,
This is how I’ll spend my day
I’ll hurry down and ask her
I only hope she says “Okay”.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, interesting and cool! Very Dr. Seuss like...you should turn this into an illustrated book for children!! Also reminds me of Willy Wonka. Love, Mom

Wonder Woman said...

One of my fav stories about my niece is when her mom took her to the coffee shop on the way to my apartment and she wanted a cookie. Her mom said "if I buy you the cookie, will you behave today?" and my niece replied "maybe so!" HAHAHA

Anonymous said...

The poem reminds me of when your wife was little and she called me all excited that she was going to Disneyland. When I asked her when, she said all excited "Someday!!!" I sure miss you guys.
DvB