Saturday, August 22, 2009

Eventful Week

Last weekend was a three day weekend in Jakarta as we celebrated Indonesian Independence Day.

Saturday, I participated in the final Freeport Olympics event - golf. It was a sad reminder of how much practice I need in the sport of executives. Each of the four Olympic teams could provide eight players. Most were lucky to provide two. Prior to the event all players had to provide their handicap with a cap of 28. I, like nearly all the others participating, listed a 28 handicap.

The morning of the event, the organizers grouped players into pairs for a best ball scramble. They put the highest handicapped person on a team with the lowest handicapped person and worked their way to the middle. The only other rule was alternating who would do the putting on each hole. They had individual tournaments for longest drive, closest to the pin, and closest to the line - a rope in the center of the fairway around where a normal drive distance would be. They also gave each team a yellow ball. On each hole, we had to alternate which player would use the ball. Any team that still had the ball at the end of 18 holes would win a prize.

Long story short, the opposing team in my foursome lost their yellow ball on the first hole. My team, thanks to my partner, lost it on the drive of the second hole. I played horrible from the tees and the fairways, and was on fire near the greens and putting. I made any putt within 15 feet and would chip/pitch within ten feet of the cup on every hole. My partner was driving 300 yards and hitting well from the fairway when I had a bad shot. We complemented each other nicely - and still ended up shooting a 96. After our handicap reduction, we were left with a 4-under par 68, which was 14 strokes better than our opponent. The score was good enough for second. Another pair from my team took first, so my Olympic team took the gold medal for the event, and we won gold overall.



Sunday, we took our daughter to a polo and equestrian club outside Jakarta so she could go horseback riding. For ten dollars, she took a 45 minute ride up into the mountains on a horse by herself with a guide holding the reins. We watched her leave and then realized we just sent our 3 year old daughter off into the jungle on a horse with someone we just met. We sat in the open-air cafeteria to wait for her return, which turned out to be a mistake. When she came back and didn't see us, she freaked out. She screamed loud enough the whole restaurant turned in the direction of the noise. The guide she had gone riding with was holding her hand walking her to the cafeteria and she was bawling. Once she saw us, she calmed down, and, after a few moments, admitted to having a good time.




Monday, I went to work for a semi-mandatory Independence Day celebration. I asked around and expats typically do not attend this event. I was also the only expat who participated in the Olympic events, though, so that did not deter me. One of my expat colleagues, however, came by later to inform me that, even though he had never attended in his seven years, he was attending this year because they were going to take attendance and note who was there.

The locals appeared to have a very good time. For me, I kept thinking how an event like this would never happen in the United States. Even on a voluntary basis, someone would have sued. We stood in military formation based on our Olympic team membership. Someone from our security team barked out orders and we alternated between saluting, being at ease, and standing at attention. Very militaristic. I felt uncomfortable saluting the Indonesian flag, but I did so, so I would not offend anyone. I probably will not attend next years event. I really think this event is intended for Indonesians who want display their nationalist fervor, not for an expat visiting.

During the week, my daughter had an opportunity to try out her adventurous side by riding a gyroscope. This is a ride that many adults won't brave. She's doing it at the age of three.

1 comment:

Wonder Woman said...

OMG!! She is such a dare devil!!!