Sunday, August 23, 2009

A 'sensitive' subject

I apologize in advance to any sensitive eyes or for those to whom a topic like this will offend your sensibilities. Maybe it is a trivial thing I'm making too big a deal out of. Next to the name you give your child, I consider this the second largest potentially emotionally scarring decision a parent can make.

Circumcise, or no circumcise.

Decades ago, conventional wisdom, and even medical recommendation, was to perform the circumcision. Proponents still argue it is 'cleaner'. Opponents argue that it is barbaric, unnecessary, and reduces sensitivity during sex by up to 80%... not that I think men need any more help in the ability to experience heightened sensations in that area.

I've vacillated on this topic for several months. I know my wife's preference. Ultimately, as the male advisor to the male scion, the decision is mine. Theoretically, I could decide to not do it, and he would still have the option later in life. Realistically, the decision I make will be permanent. I don't imagine my son voluntarily having an 'elective' surgery of that nature when he is of an age to make such decisions.

Fundamentally, here is the question(s) I am trying to answer:

The first time he is exposed in public, whether it be a locker room at school, or in an amorous situation, how likely is it to be an opportunity for ridicule?

And, just as important, is that enough of a reason to have an elective surgery?

I'd appreciate feedback, especially from the romantic situation perspective. The last thing I want is for my son's first experience to contain "What's wrong with it?" or "Gross, is it supposed to look like that?"

2 comments:

Lex said...

Just saw this on the Today Show this morning. You might find it interesting - re: circumcision.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=62372312

Wonder Woman said...

I think it really boils down to keeping it clean. As far as ridicule - they'd have to look pretty closely to tell the difference, so I wouldn't have that play a factor. It does tend to be more sensitive - which can be good or bad depending on the situation. If it's gonna be done, earlier the better.