Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Back in Jakarta

I returned to Jakarta late last night. The city is empty. Everyone is still on holiday, so traffic is non-existent. I woke late, left my house late, and still arrived to work on time. My commute home was 90 minutes last week. Today, 20 minutes. If Jakarta was always like this, more people would move here (creating a fallacy of composition!).

My last three days in Singapore involved visiting a new part of an old favorite, and going places we've never been. Sunday, we went to Santosa Island and visited a different beach. I purchased a kite to fly at the beach, but we never had enough wind to get it airborne. I don't know that I've ever been to a beach that did not have wind.

Monday, we spent most of the day in the room, but did make it to the section of Singapore known as Little India for dinner. Deepavali, the Hindu "Festival of Lights", is not for a few days, but they had already decorated for the event.



Tuesday, we went to....well, tried to go to.... Downtown East. It's a section of Singapore near Pasir Ris that has an amusement park and a water park.


View Larger Map

We were going for the water park and all dressed in our swimsuits. When we arrived, we learned that Tuesdays are the only day of the week the park is not open. The amusement park was only open Friday - Sunday. Luckily, there was a large lake nearby in the Pasir Ris Park. Unfortunately, there were signs indicating a high bacteria content in the water and advised against swimming in it. So, we made use of the large grassy area to play my daughters favorite game after Hide and Seek - Tag.





I'm in Jakarta now until next weekend. I'm sure the time will pass quickly

No comments: