Friday, April 9, 2010

From the mouths of babes

I haven't posted all week.  I haven't really been online most of the week, outside of work.

Earlier this week, my wife asked our daughter three questions:  "What is Daddy's favorite thing to do?", "What is Mommy's favorite thing to do?", and "What is your favorite thing to do?"  Her answers were, respectively, "Play games on the computer", "Work on the computer", "Watch movies and cartoons".

We didn't like that.  So, we modified our behavior.  My daily routine has been arrive home, go to the gym, blog and/or post to Facebook, do Fantasy Sports and/or online games until dinner.  After dinner, I would do an educational activity with my daughter - practicing letters, learning math, matching - so she could earn stars.  Four stars in a week, she gets to go for ice cream after dinner on Sunday (assuming her behavior doesn't result in losing a star during the week).  After the activity, we would prepare the kids for bed and read stories.  Most of her awake time when I was home, she saw me on the computer.  We didn't realize it, but we do now.

So, now, until she goes to bed, we spend more time interacting with her.  I still go to the gym first when I get home, or I'll never get there.  We eat as soon as I get back and shower.  We still do the activity - she likes to earn the ice cream - but then we do a game.  Wii (she likes bowling and golf), Candy Land, Uno, Memory - anything she wants.  This gives us a good hour or more together.  One afternoon, the weather permitted her to show me what she learns in tennis lessons.

Long story short, I don't have as much time to blog.  So, look for updates on weekends, maybe one other time during the week.  I'll get the pictures and videos uploaded this weekend.

Big lesson:  ask your kid what they think is your favorite activity.  It may surprise you.

No comments: