Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bachelor life sucks when you're married

I normally try to post to my blog on the weekends.  My weeknights are typically busy with activities, and weekdays with work, so weekends are the only time to post.  With the family in Singapore, I have a lot more time for posting....but a lot less worth talking about.  It's pretty bleak living in a large house when the family is somewhere else.

My days are as routine as I can make them.  I go to work at the same time, I come home at the same time.  I even have tried to make my evenings resemble my normal routine...but the wife nixed the at-home massage while she's gone, so my Monday nights leave me wanting for an activity.  Last week, my yoga teacher confirmed our session and then cancelled five minutes later.  It was her birthday and her friends surprised her.  That axed my Wednesday night.  Thursday was a holiday, so no rugby.  My week wasn't very routine.

Even the help is off schedule.  Not wanting to pay our nannies for two months of not working, I set a schedule where the two nannies and our maid split the weeks.  So they come at 5 PM and leave at 7 PM.  Just long enough to clean, do a load of laundry, and make my three meals.  Not sure the laundry is working out so well.  All my clothes smell like mildew.

The family, at least, is enjoying Singapore....at least the apartment in Singapore.  My cousin doesn't know where to go and my wife is too pregnant to have the energy to really go anywhere, so they seldom leave the apartment.  On the plus side, Great World City upgraded us from a two bedroom to a three bedroom!  They said it was because we were repeat customers.  I think it had more to do with the fact that we kept asking them to remove furniture to make room for kids beds (cribs, etc) and they didn't have anywhere else to put it.  Whatever the reason, they are awesome and we really appreciate it!  This is how to run a company.  I wish I could say we will use them again, but I think the opportunity is unlikely.  If the opportunity presents itself, however, we would definitely return.

On Friday I'll rejoin my family in Singapore.  Saturday is my daughter's birthday and nothing is stopping me from being around for that.  I bought us tickets to the Lion King musical (which, oddly enough, my daughter already saw in Arizona when she was three) as her birthday present.  We will all go on Saturday night...minus the little guy.  They would let him, but I don't think we'd get to enjoy the show if he was there.  It's past his bedtime.

No comments: