Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Lazy Day to End a Busy Week

It's Sunday today.  Father's Day, to be precise.  And, due to my unfortunate travel schedule, I am spending it alone - though I did just have a wonderful Skype conversation with the family in Singapore.  In four days I'll be transitioning myself to Singapore and won't return to Jakarta until after our new son is born.  I'm spending today as lazily as I can.

It was a rough week, and a full week.  I'm an insomniac, by nature, and when external events disrupt my sleep routine, I'm not able to defeat my insomniac tendencies.  This meant a week of sleeping just five hours per night.  I probably would have been okay were it not for the first night alone:  Sunday. 

With the family in Singapore, I leave my computer on and open all night in case my wife goes into labor and needs to contact me.  At 2 AM, I woke from a dead sleep to the sound of someone (or something) typing on my keyboard.  Naturally, all the early talk of ghosts living in my house shot through my mind in the few seconds I was regaining consciousness.  By the time I had adjusted my mind to where I was and why it was dark and why I was surrounded by a thin white net (the mosquito netting), my heart was pounding and adrenaline was surging through my body.

My vision is bad in daylight without glasses.  Throw in a dark room with odd shadows and it is even worse.  Even so, I could see there was no person or apparition sitting at my computer making use of the internet.  It wasn't until I heard the familiar sound of quickly scurrying feet and the distinct, squeaky call that I realized one of our ubiquitous tiny house lizards had just run across the keyboard of my laptop.  Of course I was then up for another ninety minutes.

I went through my week as a zombie drinking more coffee during the week than I had in my prior 36 years of life.  Literally.  Futsal on Tuesday was tough, but far better than the prior week when only three of us showed up.  Yoga on Wednesday knocked me flat.  My legs just didn't have enough energy to hold most of the poses.  I fell down three times. 

Thursday, due to peer pressure, I participated in the only event I'll be around for in this year's company Olympics:  Futsal.  I was hoping to participate in Futsal, Golf and Bowling, but when I saw my schedule in Jakarta would only permit me to participate in the first Futsal event, I was planning to just skip the olympics this year (like all the other expats).  My team insisted they needed me, however, so I played.  It didn't help.  The other team cleaned the floor with us 6-1.

I closed out my week celebrating a big event with a friend.  He has just accepted the job as head of the Wealth Management group for a large Indonesian bank.  Pretty big deal.  And if anyone is interested, he's highly recommending you get out of anything that is US currency and move it to Singapore or Indonesia until the market settles from the major shock that will hit at the end of June when the Fed stops buying US Treasury.

We celebrated his new success at a local Jakarta club....which meant we left the house at 11PM and arrived home after 3 AM.  Of course, now that my body is accustomed to 5 hours of sleep, I was up at 8:30 this morning.  Here's hoping I'll get a nice nap later today!

No comments: