Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Weekend in Singapore

So I just realized I never posted about my short trip to Singapore last weekend, so I'll do so now, much later than intended.

I left work around 2 PM Friday for my 5 PM flight to Singapore.  That should have had me arriving in Singapore around 7:30 and at the apartment by 8 PM.  Unfortunately, my flight left 45 minutes late, and then the only "bag" I checked - a stroller my wife wanted to swap with the one we initially brought - didn't show up on the baggage carousel because it was considered "bulky".  I didn't arrive at the apartment (getting my first look at our recent upgrade to a 3 bedroom) until 9:30.  I was happy to see that the kids fought through fatigue and were awake to greet me when I arrived.  After reading stories and spending a few brief moments with my wife before she returned to her Casey Anthony Trial addiction, I went to bed.

The next morning, Saturday, was my daughter's birthday.  We had the party with her friends prior to moving to Singapore but still wanted to make her actual day a special one.  It started rather inauspiciously.  I, along with my cousin, took the kids on a 15 minute walk to a nearby park.  Storm clouds approached as we walked there and, after ten minutes of playing, the storm unleashed its fury with torrents of rain and abundant lightning.  We too shelter under a pavilion at the park hoping to wait out the rain and then walk home.  Nearly an hour later, it was still raining, but not as hard, so I decided to try our luck at hailing a cab and going home.  Thankfully, I snagged one as soon as we reached the street and we clambered our wet selves (myself being the worst because four could not fit under the umbrella) and took the two minute ride home.

The birthday cake was still baking when we arrived so I went and bought a Subway lunch.  After lunch, we watched "Hook", the Robin Williams Peter-Pan movie.  My daughter loved it and even my son was able to watch it for long stretches, though he was much more interested in crashing his toy cars.

After the movie it was time to get ready for the evening's big event:  The Lion King musical at Marina Bay Sands.  Through our apartment, we arranged a baby sitter for our son so the rest of us could enjoy the show sans screaming baby.  Our daughter donned her princess crown and a lovely dress and we went to the hotel for dinner prior to the show.

Marina Bay Sands is heralded as one of the new man-made marvels in the world.  It has received mention in all of the international press and even been featured in a Discovery Channel special.  It doesn't disappoint (see pictures below).  It even has an indoor ice skating rink.

We ate at an Italian restaurant.  Our daughter obviously recognized we were at a very fancy restaurant as she was on her best behavior and made sure to sit properly and quietly with her napkin in her lap.  After dinner we attended the main event.  Even though our daughter had seen it once before in Phoenix prior to our departure, it had the desired effect:  She loved it.  They must change it slightly for each of the markets in which it plays, too, because it was a little different from how I remembered it, with some local reference (ie, Merlion) thrown in.

It was nearly 11 PM when the show finished and I carried our daughter to the taxi stand.  The excitement of the night finally over, she fell asleep on the short walk there.  The line was extremely long.  Luckily, Singapore has a policy that pregnant women and the elderly get priority, and I'm not too proud to use this benefit, so we cut to the front of the line and were home shortly after 11.

Sunday I had to leave for the airport by 4 PM, so we made a return trip to the park - this time with mom and without rain - and spent the rest of the afternoon swimming.  It was a good trip, but far too short.  I'm glad my next trip there I won't leave until we all return as a family of five.

 

 

No comments: