Friday, September 16, 2011

Family Is Complete

Before our latest addition joined us in July, my wife and I had already decided he would be our last child.  The only question remaining was how to guarantee he would be our last.  After studying the long- and short-term effects of the various contraception options (pill, IUD, tubular ligation, prophylactics, vasectomy, etc), we determined the vasectomy was the best option.  No issues with hormone changes, reversible, no ongoing expenses, etc.

I was supposed to complete the procedure in July during my paternity leave.  The doctor advised us to wait until after our son was born to confirm no complications and that our minds would not change.  Our son is healthy, we haven't changed our mind, so I'm in Singapore and, after this morning's procedure, I can say our family is now complete.

I didn't record the surgery and I'll spare everyone a "verbal video" and just say:  "OUCH!"  Honestly, it wasn't that bad (other than the initial shot delivering the local anesthesia - which, after the first didn't work I made him do again) and I'm not even on pain medication.  Although, for some reason I'm no longer able to think clearly, as if the procedure disconnected my brain or something......

The more interesting part of my trip is what happened at the hotel.  We so enjoy the Shangri-La Hotel that we joined their Golden Circle Club after our last trip to Singapore.  When I arrived, even though I had booked a Deluxe room in one of their towers, they had upgraded me to a suite!  I think it may be because we've booked a suite each of the last two months - once in Jakarta, once in Singapore.  So, instead of recuperating in a simple room, I'm in a room with two bathrooms, two TV's, a dining room, a living room, a sitting room, and a balcony that overlooks the pool.  Overkill, to say the least, and something I would better enjoy if I was on a romantic getaway with the wife, not surgery.

I have one final post-operative examination tomorrow before I get back on a plane to return to Jakarta.  We have a birthday party to attend tomorrow night and I hope I'm up for it!

No comments: