Friday, September 3, 2010

A Visit from the U.S.

With my boss visiting from the U.S. and my wife's birthday both happening this week, I have had just one dinner at home.  Interestingly, the restaurants I've eaten at each night have had a common theme:

Tuesday - the apartment
Wednesday - Social House
Thursday - Elbow Room

Friday (today), I tried to book us at Hacienda (Spanish for "ranch"), hoping to keep the theme going, but they were fully booked.  So, we're going to Benihana's instead, and breaking the trend.

In addition to the many work projects, a key topic of discussion during my boss's visit is what happens to me when my assignment completes in April.  Technically, my official assignment paperwork is open ended.  The verbal agreement we had before my family moved here was a two year commitment.  Regardless, our lease runs out on 06 April and we'll have to do something before then.

When we first agreed to move to Jakarta, the plan was I would return to my same role after my assignment completed.  That was before the economic crisis.  That was before we outsourced a large portion of our technology division.  That was before two major changes to the organization chart.  In short, a lot has changed and the job I left no longer exists.

Before we left Phoenix, and even several times while I've been here, I joked that my assignment was to work myself out of a job.  My theory was that if I did a bad job in Jakarta, they'd fire me; if I did a good job, they'd move all the work here and there wouldn't be a job to go back to.  My joke is no longer very humorous.

Where it stands today, my boss has expressed he would like it if we remained here another two years and I have told them that is not an option for my family.  I know I have demonstrated my value and I am confident we will come to a compromise that works well both for my family and the organization. 

I anticipate my final role will require extensive travel back to Jakarta, at least initially.  Although not ideal because of the time away from family, it allows us to be based in Phoenix while I still contribute maximum value to my company.

Whatever the outcome, I know two things:

1)  This has been a great opportunity.  I've grown professionally and personally as a result of my time in Jakarta.  I've learned a lot about working interculturally, Muslims, Indonesia, and myself.  I will never regret coming here.

2)  My family is moving back to Phoenix next year.  Tentatively, my family moves in January and I will join them in April, depending on the demands of my work projects.

I'll keep everyone posted as we finalize the plans.

(And, yes, I realize I still owe some pictures.  I hope to get to it this weekend).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will all work out. Love, Mom