Thursday, November 12, 2009

Indonesia....you give me fever

Spent 6 hours in the ER today. I woke up with a temperature of 39.6 (103.1). They ran blood and stool tests and gave me three IV's. They were not able to reduce my fever below 38.1 (100.5). I've had a fever over 37.7 (100) for three straight days. It's difficult to stay awake, move, etc.

The test results indicated I have a bacterial infection. Doctors have given me antibiotics. I have until Saturday to break the fever or they want me to go back again. 1000mg of Tylenol isn't cutting it.

A few things I have learned:

1) Fevers from 37.7 - 38.8 give you teeth chattering chills.
2) Fevers over 38.8 make you sweat like you are in a sauna
3) Phlebotimists here must not get proper training. She pricked my vein to draw blood and attach the IV and my blood dripped all down my hand and onto the sheets. I did not like her after that.
4) Bacteria suck.

No comments: