Monday, November 23, 2009

Yesternight

So, I can't read my blog, but I can post to it via email. I'm going to try and keep posting to it.

The below is another story inspired by my daughter. She has started using the word "yesternight" for things that happened in the past, but at night.

Yesternight --

My story is outrageous, and just a little bit absurd
Most likely more outlandish than any other you have heard
It's worth the time to hear it, so if you don't easily fright
I really want to tell you, the story of Yesternight

We had all just finished dinner, the day was coming to an end
Father had a game to watch and mom had shirts to mend
I was in my playroom, playing with my toys
When dad stood up to cheer his team and made an awful noise

I startled from his shouting, and fell back in my chair
Legs stretched out before me, arms flapping in the air
That's when I saw it falling, from the table to the floor
The juice I had been drinking, was in its cup no more

My juice was spilling everywhere, my mom would be mad at me
Then the juice just disappeared and became a tiny tree
I could not beleive my eyes, I'd never seen such a thing before
Was I really looking at a tree that grew up from the floor?

The tree had leaves of silver and gold; the trunk was made of stone
When I saw a window, then a door, I knew this was someone's home!
This wasn't a tree at all, it was a house that looked like a tree
And a house must have an owner. I wondered who, or what, it could be

The door opened slowly, a tiny head looked all around
I held my breath and stood real still, trying not to make a sound
Then it looked right at me! Looked right into my eyes!
I tried to turn my head away but I was mesmerized

In a flash it flew up in the air and whispered in my ear:
"Excuse me, but, do you know how we got here?"
I tried to give an answer, but none popped in my head
"Who and what are you?", is what I blurted out instead

"I am a fairy", she replied, "my friends all call me Fern."
She also had two brothers, I would later learn
The short one she called "Longwell", the tall one she called "Squat"
She said the names didn't make much sense, but they're the names they've got

They were practicing their magic, and the house had filled with smoke
The smell had put them all to sleep, and they were here when they awoke
She asked "Are you a wizard? Do you have us under a spell?"
"No, I'm just a kid", I said, wishing there was more to tell.

"Your tree appeared in my room after I spilled my drink."
"That is strange", she replied, not knowing what to think.
"How we got here's not important, I must know how we can return.
To do that I will need some frog's breath I can burn."

"That will create a smoke, that I can capture in this flask
and when I add to that a newt's tear drop, it will show me the way back."
She asked if I would help her. I said "Sure, but how?"
"I need a frog", she said "I'm all out of frog's breath right now."

I knew where we could find a frog and said "Quick! Come with me."
She rushed inside to get the tools she felt that she would need.
She climbed into my pocket and we quietly went outside
I walked over to the pond I knew had frogs inside

Fern flew out from my pocket and began to search the ground
When suddenly I heard a noise and I quickly spun around
The noise was Tate our neighbor's cat, on his nightly prowl
He had seen Fern flying and his stomach began to growl

I tried calling out to Fern, to warn her about Tate
But he already had her in his sights, I had noticed him too late
With an exicted MEOW! Tate leapt in the air, reaching for his catch
Fern was faster than he thought. He missed, and landed with a SPLASH!

Tate didn't like the water, and began to thrash about
And all of his commotion made the frogs come rushing out
Fern saw a frog and came rushing down, landing on its back
Startled, it let out a gasp, which she captured in her flask

With a tiny match, she lit the breath, and when it turned to smoke
She added in just one newt's tear, then these words she spoke:
"Breath of frog and tear of newt, please show me the way.
I want to be back in my land before the night is day."

She watched the smoke intently, her furrowed brow forming a dimple
When at last she had the answer, she said "Can it really be that simple?"
She smiled at me and said out loud "This is easy to do!
But I can't do it by myself, you'll have to do it to."

We rushed back to my playroom, and pushed aside my blocks
Then Fern rushed about the room, turning back all the clocks
"We need to set the time back, to when we first appeared
Then turn the house three times, stopping when its front becomes its rear."

I understood my mission, what I was tasked to do
The house was much too large for Fern, I'd have to turn it too
Longwell, Squat, Fern and I pushed with all our might
The house just would not move - like a screw that's screwed too tight

"Let's try the other way", I offered, pulling with a GRUNT!
The house moved easily this time, and we stopped when back was front
Longwell, the house, Fern and Squat, disappered in a flash of light
That's how my story ends. And it all just happened, Yesternight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great yesternight. Love Gma Barb

Anonymous said...

What a great story!!! DvB