Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bad Lunches, Bad Politicians - New Ideas Required

I want to thank my reader "Steph" for referring this link to me.  http://www.freakalytics.com/2010/03/12/agriculutural-subsidies/

As someone with an Economics degree, I strongly believe in the power of incentives (Black Swans not withstanding).  When you look at the incentives inspired by the agricultural subsidies (below chart), you'll understand why Americans are so overweight. The government encourages us to eat meat, and discourages consumption of grains, fruits and vegetables. The data is damning.



Obama promised "change".  Enough Americans believed him that he is now our president.  Unfortunately, the only change I have seen is the Democrats are now pushing their partisan agenda instead of the Republicans pushing their party agenda.  That isn't really change - even if you prefer the new agenda to the old one.

Politics has devolved into a debate of "what is right for my party" instead of "what is right for America".  They are more concerned about which party can solve the problem, or which party receives credit for a new program, than they are about actually solving the problem or providing benefits for our tax dollars.

I reiterate my request to vote them all out and start anew.  Regardless of party affiliation.

No comments: