Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How to remove candy from a nose

So, it finally happened. My daughter put something up her nose.

Today is the last day our visitors will be here. As a bit of a going away celebration, we gave the girls some small little candy hearts - the sour kind. After the candy was all gone, our daughter, very nervous that she would be in trouble, informed us that she "accidentally" got candy stuck up in her nose.

In the annals of my recent reading library, I remembered reading how to unstick something from your child's nose. It was in the parent's survival handbook.


I tried step one - remove the object using tweezers.  I tilted my daughter's head back, used a flashlight to locate the object, and tried to get at with tweezers.  She was unsettled and crying through the whole ordeal.  And it didn't work.  It was stuck too far up.

I went to step two.  I had my daughter stand up.  I got down on my knees.  This time, I didn't tell her what I was about to do.  She was calm, compliant, and unprepared for what happened next.  I plugged the unclogged nostril, put my mouth over hers, and blew as hard as I could.

The candy dislodged like a ball shot from a cannon - as did a bunch of her snot on my face.

Mark one down for the survival handbook!  Worked like a charm.  If it happens again, I'll have to record it and post the video.  At this point, the best I could do is a reenactment.

I suggest all parents and grandparents buy one (and please use the link on my blog when you do).

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

haha...you are now a literal snot face! :-) I would've paid money to see that!!!

Anonymous said...

I was laughing so hard; I was crying. Just like your wife, I would have loved to see it. DvB