Sunday, March 7, 2010

Riding Horses

In our ongoing attempts to keep the kids entertained and provide enriching experiences, this past Saturday we decided to take everyone horseback riding at the Jakarta Polo and Equestrian Club (JPEC) in Senul City, south of Jakarta. This is the same place we took our daughter in August of last year. Last time, because my wife was 8 months pregnant, my daughter was the only rider. This time, we all went riding.

The kids, still without programmed fear, had a great time riding their puny palfrey. My wife, who has only twice ridden a horse not attached to a metal bar and walking in a circle, and sister-in-law who has never ridden an unsecured horse, had visions of Christopher Reeves in their heads as they mounted their enormous steeds. As for me, a summer vacation at El Rancho, and several horseback riding birthday gifts from my Aunt Terry and Uncle Earl trained me as a competent, non-expert rider.

JPEC, much to the relief of my wife and sister-in-law, and to my chagrin, do not permit free riding. This meant all our horses had leads and we walked on pavement the whole trip. The kids still loved it, I was disappointed, and the mom's were still having visions of the horses they were riding overpowering the guides and either bucking them off and breaking their necks, or bucking them to the ground with their foot still stuck in the stirrup while the horse takes off at a gallop.

It's amazing what twenty years of life can do for fear. Kids have none. Adults have all kinds. I'll leave it to people more experienced than I in the ways of the psyche to explain why.





1 comment:

Wifey said...

Hey you weren't on the horse named Loco!