Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Two simple requests for 2010

I know, the year is two months old already. But, if you operate your life around the NFL, you'll understand that the league year just started last week Friday, so I'm really only 4 days into the year!

Anyway, I have two simple requests for everyone this year.

1) Vote out the incumbents. If you are happy with Congress, by all means, vote your Congressperson back into office. If you are unhappy with Congress, vote in someone new from your district. I know what you're thinking: "But I like my guy. He isn't the problem." WRONG! If you don't like Congress, that means your person has been ineffective. Even if he or she is well intentioned, they obviously aren't up for the job, so give someone else a try. If your blind, religious devotion to dogma won't let you vote for the other party, make sure the incumbent doesn't win the primary. Otherwise, you owe it to yourself, and your country, to vote someone else in. It is time we show our "representatives" that we don't want career politicians. We want people who are there to make a difference and then return to the private sector. Do it with me. Let's take back America.

2) Stop ostentatious displays of devotion. Look, I can appreciate the benefits religion, faith, and a church community brings to people's lives. I even support the rights of everyone to practice their faith without fear of prosecution. What I'm tired of is people who use faith for fame. Tim Tebow, I'm talking to you. And Jesse Jackson. And every politician who becomes 'born again' and contrite when they get caught in an affair, or making racist comments, or embezzling money. It's insincere. I'm also talking to those people who show up at sporting events carrying posters with "John 3:16" emblazoned on them. So, here is my request. When you go to a sporting event, I want you to carry a poster with "Matthew 6:5-8" and stand next to them. Bring the sign to the autograph signing events held by athletes who will say "God helped us win" but won't say "God wanted us to lose tonight". Bring it to the press conferences of the apologetic politicos when they confess their newfound commitment to God. Don't worry, none of them will have a clue what your sign means (though you should look it up yourself).

Let's make the world a better place....well, at least for the 2 years we have left before the Mayan space gods come and conquer us all.

2 comments:

Urban Truth Video said...

Bravo and Hallelujah! Seriously, I know God despises people who use Him for their gain; so much so He sent His Son to throw all the high priests out of His church. I think He might do something like that again if we all don't "just get real" about God. I love the Matthew passage. I don't care to see how holy you are unless it is through helping a neighbor in distress, widows and orphans.

I don't know when 'career' politician became the norm, but it is NOT how the government was supposed to be run. I stand with you in taking back America! I hope all the sleeping voters wake up this election. Or perhaps they are waiting for the Mayan gods to come fix everything?

Wonder Woman said...

Amen my brotha from the same motha!