Thursday, December 31, 2009

Remembering 2009

A lot of major milestones happened for us this year. Below are the most memorable events in the order they occurred:

January

Learned we were pregnant with our second child
Had to put down my beloved dog, China.

February

Made a trip out to Jakarta to finalize housing for our big move.
Began packing at home.
Completed our physicals for medical clearance and received all 13 of our shots
For the first time in my life, I had to declare a religion on my employment forms. The choices were Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Catholic or Protestant.

March

Visited Bali for the first time.
Spend a holiday in silence, confined to our hotel at penalty of jail time.
Visited a volcano for the first time, and played with wild monkeys.
Fed elephants for the first time.
Arrived at our new home in Jakarta.

April

Drove through flood waters deep enough to leave a wake (see Jakarta Living section).
My daughter had her first close encounter with wild animals.
Met Miss Indonesia
Had to deal with fears of swine flu while living in a third world nation.
When asked why our unit didn't have a dish washing machine, was informed "that is what your maid will be for".

May

Saw a dead (well, dying) person twitching in the street on the way to work
Learned we were having a son.
Defined expat categories.

June

Attended what I am sure was the first of many end of year school programs for my daughter
Our first and second overseas birthday parties.
Learned a lesson about the pursuit of money.
Adapted to life in Jakarta.
Learned what I love about America.

July

Attended my first contract signing with a labor union.
Visited Singapore for the first time.
Learned a sniper was killing my colleagues at our minesite.
Colleagues were injured when terrorists bombed the hotels I stayed in when traveling.

August

Witnessed my first Indonesian protest.
Participated in the olympics and put down my first dog, Guapo.
Laughed at a monkey who decided to then throw poop at me.
My daughter did the gyroscope
Experienced the start of my first fasting month.
Learned that the US has a lot of clout internationally

September

Experienced a major earthquake that damaged the walls in my office.
Moved my wife and daughter to Singapore until the birth of our son.
Experienced personal growth - Imagine that!!
Discovered how inspiring kids can be.

October

Moved myself to Singapore
Birth of my son.

November

Had an adrenaline rush
Had the highest fever of my life.
Visited Bandung and a sulphur lake.

December

Anniversary in Jakarta
Christmas in Jakarta

No comments: